Perfect your practice with essential oils for yoga
Like avocado and toast or acai and granola, yoga and essential oils are a match made in heaven. Whether you are just beginning with yoga or have been practicing for years, you can benefit by adding these power-packed aromas to your practice.
Need help to feel grounded as you sync body with the mind? There’s an oil for that. Want to transform your room into a serene yoga studio? There’s a diffuser blend for that. Can’t seem to get the stinky-feet smell out of your yoga mat? You’re not alone! And guess what? Essential oils can help there too.
Ready to discover the benefits essential oils can bring to your yoga class or at-home routine? Check out some of the best essential oils for yoga, plus ways to perfect your practice with aromatherapy.
Best essential oils for yoga:
- Lavender essential oil
- Patchouli essential oil
- Frankincense essential oil
- Orange essential oil
- Sacred Sandalwood™ essential oil
- Clary Sage essential oil
- Eucalyptus Radiata essential oil
- Geranium Bourbon essential oil
- Idaho Blue Spruce essential oil
How do you use essential oils in yoga?
Essential oils enhance your yoga practice in many ways, from setting the scene to keeping your mat smelling fresh and clean. Wherever you are in your yoga journey, get more out of your flow with these tips.
1. Begin with a soothing aroma. Before you start your yoga session, add a few of your favorite oils from the list above to your diffuser or mix them up in a spray bottle and spritz into the air to surround yourself with the soothing scents of nature.
YL tip: For a 3 ounce spray bottle, add 15–20 drops of oil then top off with water.
2. Mind your mantra. As you set an intention for your yoga practice, put a drop of Sacred Sandalwood over your heart.
3. Bring it ommm. Dilute a drop of Patchouli or Clary Sage and rub onto your wrists. Breathe in the scent during poses like crow and wheel.
4. Sink into stillness. One of the best ways to use essential oils during relaxation at the end of your session is by rubbing a drop of Lavender or Frankincense into your forehead and massaging it toward your temples.
5. Make a mat mist. Combine 4 ounces water, 4 ounces witch hazel, and 3 drops Orange essential oil in a spray bottle; spritz onto your mat and wipe clean. Roll the mat up when it’s dry.
6. Treat yourself to a spa-like reward. Before you hit the mat, dampen a washcloth with cold water and a drop each of Eucalyptus Radiata and Sacred Sandalwood. Then pop it in the freezer, so it’s nice and frosty for your cooldown.
7. Amp up the ambiance. Set the scene for another successful yoga practice with these studio-worthy diffuser blends.
Say “Ommm” diffuser blend
Practice deep inhalations with the peaceful aromas of Lavender and Sacred Sandalwood boosted by the refreshing, rejuvenating scent of Eucalyptus Radiata.
Yoga Retreat diffuser blend
Transport yourself to a serene mountainside retreat with a rich, earthy blend of Patchouli, Frankincense, and Clary Sage warmed by a pop of sunny Orange.